Moving can be difficult and expensive, and if you’re like
many, you might be tempted to cut some corners in order to make things simpler
and more affordable. For example, some people might suggest asking for used
boxes from grocery and department stores. Though there is virtually no up-front
cost, you will probably end up paying big time when you end up with lost or
Okay, so used boxes is a bad idea. If you go with new packing boxes and some tape, you should be in good shape, right? Not necessarily.
Expert Advice from Your Local Orange County Moving Company
It goes without saying that if you want the absolute best moving experience, hiring local movers is the way to go. However, if you are the DIY type or if hiring full-service home movers isn’t in your budget, there are some basics to keep in mind that will keep your belongings—and your peace of mind—safe for the long-haul.
If you want to pack your household like a pro, the Orange County moving experts at Merit Moving Systems have some useful packing supply suggestions.
Start With The Basics
Boxes and tape are a must, sure. But, there are a few other basic items you will need regardless of your relocation size including:
- Moving Boxes: As mentioned earlier, never go with free used boxes. Some places, like Uhaul, often provide free moving boxes. Moving companies like Merit Moving are great sources for quality boxes and other packing materials.
- Cushioning: The last thing you want to do is throw your items into a box, tape it up, and go. To protect your valuables, you will need some kind of padding like newspaper, bubble wrap, packing peanuts, and packaging paper.
- Labeling Materials: To avoid a lot of hassle later on, it’s important to label your boxes appropriately. We suggest using multiple color sharpies and assigning one color to each room.
- Packing Tape: Feel free to be frugal when gathering cushioning and labeling materials, but when it comes to tape, get the good stuff so your items do not spill out and become damaged or lost. Save a few dollars when you buy in bulk!
Supplies for Moving Furniture and Appliances
Damaged furniture is all too common when conducting a move. Fortunately, this can usually be avoided by using the right materials including:
- Paper packing tape is easy to work with and will not damage your furniture.
- Furniture pads (or quilts and blankets) protect your furniture from scratches and other damage.
- Furniture covers will keep your items protected from dirt and grime during the move.
- Doilies and hand trucks are a must when moving heavy or oddly-shaped items—both for your safety and for the protection of your valuables.
Additional Packing Supplies
If you have the above items, you will probably do just fine on moving day. If you have a few extra dollars to spend, then there are some additional items that will make the job a little simpler and safer for you and your household items:
- Garbage and trash bags
- Utility knives
- Cargo straps
Want Professional Packing Assistance? We Can Help!
Even when you have all the right materials, packing can be time consuming and difficult. If you’d rather leave it to the professionals, go with Merit Moving Systems: the preferred choice for local and long-distance residential moving in Orange County, Riverside County, and San Bernadino County!