One of the most common challenges people face during the moving process is how to handle the transfer of their electronic equipment. After all, everything from laptops to the television, children’s gaming systems, and other electronics require proper handling from point A to point B to avoid serious damage or loss of the equipment.
A broken electronic item can put a damper on even the most excited families during relocation, and can essentially ruin the moving experience for everyone. The only way to avoid this problem is by knowing how to pack electronics in a way that keeps them safe and secure during transportation. In this article, our expert movers from Merit Moving Systems will share our expert tips for keeping your valuable electronic items safe during relocation.
Preparing the Electronics
It’s not enough to just wrap your TV in a blanket or tuck your laptop in its case at the top of a box. Proper protection and security are more involved than that. There are steps to take before packing your items away along with steps to take to ensure that the packing is done properly.
Some packing tips to follow include:
- Back Up Everything: Whether it’s a flash drive, external hard drive, or even internet-based storage options make sure that your files, pictures, and anything else you can’t afford to lose is backed up and secure outside of your computer. Even the best packing job can still fail, so take the time to ensure that you won’t be without the most important things.
- Record and track your connections: While everything is still plugged in your old home, the connections and cables will all seem to make perfect sense. In your new home, when it comes to cords and cables, it’s almost a given that nothing will. To avoid confusion, take the time before packing to color code and label the cables and connections to avoid this problem. In addition, you may want to consider photographing the connections so you have a visual reference for how everything should look when you reconnect everything in the new place.
- Remove Additional Components: Everything from ink cartridges to batteries should be removed from your electronic equipment. The bumpiness of the road could lead to them becoming loose or damaged, even if the rest of the equipment is safe. The last thing you want is a laptop that won’t turn on because the battery became compromised. Everything you remove should be bagged together for easy access when putting them back in. Once ready to be packed, make sure they can’t move or get jostled out of place.
- Stick to the Manufacturer’s Box: If you still have the original packing boxes from when you purchased your electronic equipment, use them to transport the items during the move. The boxes were designed for transporting the item in question. Should you still have the foam protectors, use them too. This is the safest and most secure way to transport your electronic equipment.
- Gather Packing Materials: If you don’t have the original boxes anymore, then gathering the packing materials is necessary. With electronic equipment, you will need three-ply cardboard boxes, wrapping papers, anti-static bubble wrap, markers, and sealing tape. In addition, make sure you have plenty of blankets, towels, and sheets for additional padding and to keep the items from moving in the box.
Moving Electronics with Merit Moving Systems
As a dedicated agent of United Van Lines, we offer superior, world-class caliber moving services to our customers. All of our movers are trained in an on-going capacity, and in the latest techniques—from packing and crating, to transporting and unpacking.
In addition, we also train our movers in specialized moving services, which include electronic items for both residential and commercial relocation projects. Whether it’s your child’s game system or your entire home office, we are equipped and trained to safely and effectively move your electronic equipment from your old home to your new home.
If you’re ready to start planning an organized and efficient moving project, Merit Moving Systems is here for you. Give us a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional moving services for your home or business relocation, or fill out our online form to schedule a free, in-home moving quote and consultation.