That's why Merit Moving Systems recommends packing an "Open First Box" to take with you during your Southern California relocation. This box will have everything you require to cook basic meals, practice hygiene, and keep the kids busy.
How to Pack an Open First Box
If you are moving soon, it's a good idea to start thinking about your open first, or first day box. Every family's needs are different, but most people use the same things in their day to day lives. Let's take a look at how to pack a first day box.
- Prepare the Box: Pick out a sturdy box and label it as your "Open First Box." This will be one of the first boxes you start filling and the last that you seal up and place in the car. You'll want to keep it in a fairly visible, yet convenient spot.
- Give Everyone a Box: Ideally, every member of the family has a first day box. If you are traveling in a small vehicle you might want to compromise with one box for the parents and one for the kids. Or, just one largish box for everyone.
- Think About It: Go through the rooms you use most commonly and think about your daily activities. What do you do in each room? What items do you use or require? This can be brushing your hair or a child sleeping with a teddy bear.
- Keep the Box with You: It is super easy to forget about your "Open First Box," and having it end up on the moving van. Make sure to load the box up before our Merit movers arrive and place it in the car. This way, you can't forget it.
What to Put in the Open First Box
Your first day box should contain the things you need to function in your new environment without skipping important activities or having to buy a replacement item. Your box will be personalized to suit your needs, but we've put together a few packing tips to help you get started. Consider packing vital tools and items from the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen, such as:
- Hygiene products; like soap, toothpaste and brush, and toilet paper
- Bathroom rugs, shower curtain, and towels
- Bed sheets, blankets, and pillow
- An alarm clock and lamp
- An inflatable mattress or bed pad
- Utensils, can opener, cups, and serving spoons
- Snack items, tea bags, and drink mixes
- Medication; both prescription and non-prescription
- A few changes of clothing for everyone
- A screwdriver, hammer, and nails
- Cleaning rags, cleanser, dish soap, and trash bags
- Pet food, bowls, leashes, bed, and toys
While you take care of packing that "Open First Box," our movers can take care of packing and loading the rest of your belongings. If you are interested in learning more or getting a free cost estimate from a move coordinator, give us a call or fill out our online form. Merit Moving Systems can arrange a complimentary consultation right away.
TagsOpen First Box moving boxes moving checklist movers moving companies
Subscribe to Merit Moving Systems's Blog